I’ve been having so much fun making these cute little flowers! I knew I had to share them with all of you!
Here are the materials and steps to make a simple little felt carnation-like flower.
- one piece of felt
- needle and thread
- glue gun/glue sticks
- circle template (cup?)
(Heat up the glue gun while doing the first few steps.)
1) Use the circle template that you have chosen and trace 6 circles of the same size onto your piece of felt. (The bigger the circle is, the bigger the flower will be.)
2) Use scissors to cut out all 6 circles. (Tip: Cut inside the line that you traced onto the felt. Then the line will not be visible on the petals.)
3) Take one circle and fold it in half.
4) Then fold it into a quarter.
5) Carefully hold the circle in the quarter position and sew through the corner with the needle and thread. Knot it a few times so it does not fall out-of-place. (You may choose to hot glue the piece in the corner instead of sewing it if you wish.) Repeat steps 3 & 4 with four more circles.
6) You should have one circle left over. Lay it flat and use it as a base. Carefully glue each quarter petal (circle) piece into place like quarters of a clock. You do not have to use that much glue to make it stay in place. A few dots will do. “A dot, a dot, a dot will do. More than a dot is too much glue!” (Sorry, that must have been the teacher in me coming out.)
(Before the next step, fluff up the petals and play with the shape to get ready for the final center petal.)
7) With the 5th petal, put a medium dot of glue in the center of the flower. Then, lay the petal straight down into the center and press down and hold for a few seconds.
8) Fluff up the petals of the flower to make it look how you want it to.
Use your beautiful flower to adorn anything you wish! Glue it onto a barrette to create a hair bow or slide it onto a headband. Fancy up a wreath or another art project. Also, I almost forgot: You can layer multiple fabric colors or mesh inside the felt pieces to create a different look. I tried it with the hot pink/black flower which will be turned into a fancy baby headband. Happy crafting!
P.S. Check back later this week to see how I created a spring/summer wreath using felt flowers!