Like I mentioned before, my second grade class is getting ready to present their how-to projects. I presented an example today, and they followed my directions in “How to Make Abraham Lincoln out of a Toilet Paper Roll.” Here’s my example:
Here’s how our product turned out:
Isn’t he cute? He’s a combination of several crafts I found on the internet: Lincoln Hat Craft from Enchanted Learning (where I got most of the graphics for my display), Abraham Lincoln Toilet Paper Craft from DLTK (Where I got Abe’s face), and the St. Patrick’s Day Leprechaun at TPcraft.com.
I can’t wait to see my students’ how-to projects! After each one we will discuss one/some of these higher order questions to incorporate the Common Core Standard 2.RI.3 (Describe the connection between …steps in technical procedures…).
- Which steps could have happened in a different order? (without changing the outcome or hindering the following steps)
- Why do you have to do the ________ step before the ___________ step?
- If we moved the __________ step, what might have happened?
- By rearranging the steps, how many ways can you do this craft?
- Is there a step we could break into two steps?
- Are there two steps we could combine into one step?
- Is there a step we left out that could make this process easier?
Happy President’s Day!